How to rise and shine each day through simple, healthy habits.
Updated: Jan 9
As we return to the conventional work & school cycles this new year, it's a great time to reset out daily routines. If we start as we mean to go on, then the likelihood of the daily grind wearing us down will be reduced - as we'll feel more organised and rejuvenated heading into each day. So, here's a recap on some simple suggestions that will help you to develop healthy routines and practices that will keep you calmer, less stressed and in control. Come on 2020! We've got this!
It starts the night before:
Adding more ‘steps’ to the end of your day can seem counter-intuitive when you're tired and frazzled, but it will help you to claw back that oh-so precious time in the morning, leaving you feeling more energised & ready to take on the day.
Re-set your routine and work on establishing some healthy daily habits that will keep you, your mind and your home functioning at its best.
Let the evening be about re-setting.
Once the kids are finally in bed and asleep it's hard to resist the call of the sofa! If you can just make it through a few extra minutes before you do, you’ll reap the rewards the next day. By doing a few simple things each evening, you will find you’re much calmer and in control in the mornings.
1. Clear up the kitchen.
It sounds so simple, but make it your habit to head straight to the kitchen once the kids are settled to wash and put away the dishes, empty the dishwasher and wipe down the kitchen surfaces. Set the breakfast table the night before, so that you're one step ahead in the morning.
2. Remove the kids clutter. De-clutter the hallway and living spaces by putting away toys, clothes and shoes. You'll wake up to a clean, happy, stress free space each day.
3. Prep for the next day - check the calendar for school activities and lay out the kids clothes, pack up homework and put the school bags by the front door.
With these three simple steps, you'll avoid the last-minute morning panic and leave the house in less of a frenzy and feeling much more in control.
Let the morning be about rejuvenation:
The last thing you want is to wake up feeling stressed each day. By taking a load off your morning to-do list the night before you can spend a few minutes kicking off your day the right way.
1. Set your alarm 10 minutes before you need to and start the day with a relaxed but revitalising cuppa.
2. Make the bed as soon as you get up - it will instantly make your morning space feel better and you'll feel more in control.
3. Get the endorphins flowing - try yoga stretches or a few star jumps to let your body know its time to wake up. You'll feel immediately more energised and in the right frame of mind for a successful day.
4. Get yourself dressed and ready first. Once you're set you'll be in a much better frame of mind to get the family up and out.
None of the above is rocket science, but it does take discipline and repetition to make it second nature. Use Lifefyle to add reminders into your day to help you stay on track with building healthy habits and routines (you'll need to try our premium offering if you want to set recurring tasks).